Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Silver Jubilee

Today, two very special people in my life celebrate their 25th year of togetherness. As you may have guessed these two people are my dear parents :)

We belong in an age where couples celebrate anniversaries every month. The first year is usually not just a cause for celebration but also a huge sigh of relief. That's the way we've told ourselves is the perfectly acceptable way to live. Anytime you hear about someone celebrating a 10 or a 25th anniversary you immediately think "Wow they must really be the perfect couple!". Which I can safely say from what I've seen in the last 23 years of my life is a load of bullshit.

What I can derive from the example of my parents is this. There is no such thing as someone who is absolutely perfect for you. Obviously a high level of compatibility must exist, but that's about 40% of a good marriage. My dad and mum for example are probably as similar as chalk and cheese. They are both Gemini, and sometimes I'd feel like I'm dealing with 4 different personalities. But what ever common ground they can find, they cherish. Over the years they've found things that they are both passionate about. So the obvious fact here is that for a relationship to work, the basic necessity is trust, a basic understanding and above all, the desire to want to be together. The other small stuff just falls into place.

I know its very easy for me to just sit here and write this stuff, but I wonder how I'll do at this marriage business one day. I can only hope that I carve out a life half as good as they've made for themselves. I can only pray that my kids turn out to be as good as me and my bro have turned out, and not neglected dope heads or drunks.

I know one thing for sure, if either of my parents ever give me relationship/marriage advice I'll always be all ears!! Here's wishing them happy anniversaries forever!!

No comments: